Thursday, January 8, 2009

You Have DSLR! (the rant)

The following is a rant. I won't do this often, but I have to get this out to start the new year right. CANON & NIKON ARE NOT THE BEST!? THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY BRANDS OUT THERE!!! So don't say I didn't warn you!

So Christmas 2008 has come and gone and you got or received an DSLR (a what?!). An SLR is a Single-Lens-Reflex Camera (D for Digital). Simply put, these are the cameras in which you can change lenses. And most likely you received a Canon or Nikon (typical). A Nikon D60 perhaps? (Most demanded and sold at Astral Photo and Best Buy). Though these are well known brands, it does not make them "the best"! (They aren't?!).

If there's one thing I've noticed, is that with digital cameras, consumers define "the best" with the most advertised brands. Though when asked why they chose their particular brand, many attributed it to "that TV ad with that celebrity", "because my friend has one" or simply "because they are the best" (again with no justifiable reason as to why).

By now you may wonder why I'm ranting. Before I can begin my advice giving, I'd first like you to know that I've used all the major brands. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. But I hear too many people brag about their gear and not know how to use it or even take good photos.

Often, at weddings, people ask the photographer what camera they shoot with (a Nikon D200, a Canon 1DS Mk III) and because they love the quality of the pictures the photographer took, they often will buy an SLR of the same brand. One should note that it's
the photographer that took the pictures (one probably with much experience). So going out and buying the same brand, let alone the same camera, won't guarantee you the same thing!

I shoot with Pentax gear and many people believe my images are from a Canon or Nikon camera! ("Pentax? Never heard of them".) The truth is that when I present my work to my clients, the first thing they check is how good the photos are and not what equipment I am using. From experience I can tell you that if you know photography well enough, you should be able to use any gear!

So this is what I'd like for you to take away from this:
  • Photographers make a photo what they are
  • Photographers should know how to use their camera so that they are comfortable with it and it doesn't inhibit them from making a photograph
  • Canon and Nikon are great but not the best! It should be WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!
  • Pentax, Olympus (& yes even Sony to name a few) are just as great.
If everyone has Mercedes or BMW and Lexus makes just as good a car(maybe better at times), why not be different?

Next posting will be lighter and photography inpired I promise!

5 comments:

  1. Hum? Are we talking about a rant to the passionate or the consumers?

    Consumers aim at user friendly cameras more than performance packed cameras. Someone manipulating a KXXXD camera might be turned off by the prehistoric-like user interface while on a Nikon, you get this shiny lcd screen with accurate contrast and helpful intuitive menu system that even has a HELP button that even teaches you on the spot how to play with the variable functions of the machine. Even the higher-end Nikon camera have one: a built-in helping hand.

    Then there are the consumer oriented colors: cameras like d60 or XShities (well having used the d60 and d40x) release a more contrast/saturated output too that are print ready and pleasing to the eye (kinda show that anybody can do great pictures with them). Thus the popularity is justified.

    Then the marketing bullshit. If you see a sport televised match, Canon advertising polutes the screen. Most consumer stores also carry more C(rap) gear like the awesome EF 50 1.8 or consumer granny-lenses like the 17-85 IS or the 28-135 IS, both hot looking, but both old and bah...

    Sadly, I've spent more time shooting with the super cool Sony Alphas (the hype about them making a "d80-like" shot is quite true, I confirm) than with pentaxes, though I've always had a nick about their "creative" auto-white-balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my main intentions for the rant was simply to show that many individuals do make purchases without fully understanding why they chose that particular camera or brand.

    I suppose being in retail and owning a system that is not part of the greater population makes me feel like the underdog and wanting to push it that much more.

    However, experience shows that most people will not give that much thought into that kind of purchase (and of course why should they have to).

    Though Canon and Nikon are most known, their greatness in numbers should not be the definitive criteria by which a camera company is judged "the best" (at least according to consumers I've sold to).

    For now, being the underdog is something I contend with both in the store and in the field. And though that may not change anytime soon, it is my passion for photography that gets me past such petty gear-head concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess what pentax needs is a good lcd with looking menu design instead of carrying on with a green-white DOS-Like interface. Feels like it's missing on the complete experience...

    How would a consumer use a KXXXd the first time with something that doesn't give him confidence to use it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I've been using Pentax for some time now and though the UI may not be up to standards like others, its not that far off the mark.

    I give lessons on Pentax SLRs to clients at the store and havn't had one major complaint yet. So far, every single one of them is quite confident with the menu system, especially the Fn button which stores the most important functions.

    Also, have you tried the KM? Its redesigned UI shows Pentax is slowly but surely committed to growth and improvement. The honest truth is when I personally sell Pentax to them, I inspire enough confidence in them to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxkm/page7.asp

    Oh!!! Interesting D40-like UI. It's a good step :)

    I see what you are talking about...

    ReplyDelete